I came across a interesting video by Angela Chia on Facebook and decided to give her recipe a try… Oh… the results…. Super cute cupcakes!!
180g plain flour
180g fine sugar
6 eggs (room temperature)
brown coloring (I can’t find brown colouring, so I mixed my own)
– 2 piping bags ( purchased disposable one from daiso)
– Pot with steamer ( using my Happycall big pot)
– Cupcake pan ( used disposable aluminum ones as it fits my steamer nicely! If not, you can use ramekins instead)
– Cloth , optional (to wrap the pot’s lid, so the water don’t drip onto the cupcake and ruin the designs)
– Ice-cream scoop to scoop batter into muffin liners
1) Beat eggs n sugar till light and fluffy.
2 Gradually add in the sifted flour.
3) Scoop 1 tbs of the batter into a piping bag. Snip a small hole and set aside.
4) Scoop 7 tbs of batter into another piping bag. Add brown colouring and mix well
5) Divide the remaining batter into 2 equal bowls.
6) Add red coloring (for ladybug’s body) to one of the bowls, mix well. Scoop 1 teaspoon of red batter into a small bowl ( for the bee’s cheek)
7) Add yellow colouring( for bee’s body) to the other bowl, mix well.
8) Line paper cups in the muffin tray.
9) Fill the cups 3/4 full with the pink batter.
10) Use the brown batter to draw a ‘T’ , to divide lady bug’s body.
11) Draw brown dots on bug’s body
12) Fill upper part of bug with brown batter
13) use white batter to make b/g of bug’s eyes.
14) Put brown dot to mark bug’s eyes *DONE!*
15) Fill the cups 3/4 full with the yellow batter.
16) Use the brown batter to draw 2 lines for bee’s markings.
17) Draw brown dots for bee’s eyes and mouth
18) use 1 chopstick, dip into the small portion of red batter to make bee’s cheek. *DONE!*
19) Fill the cups 3/4 full with the yellow batter.
20) Use the brown batter to draw outline of minion’s eyes.
21) use white batter to make b/g of minion’s eyes.
22) Put brown dot to mark minons eyes
23) Draw minion’s mouth with brown batter , if u still have any *DONE!*
24) Bring water to boil and lower cakes into pot or pan. Steam under medium heat for 15 minutes.
WARNING: Cupcakes do have a eggy taste/smell. Reduce the no. of eggs if you prefer not to have the smell
[UPDATE] My cupcakes did become a bit hard after it cooled down (still edible) – not sure if it’s me or is it the recipe 🙁 Will steam it before eating